• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:47

Yeh it does affect it. Still dawlfaces argument stands because crossbows are infact a lot easier to shoot than bows (shoot as in actually hitting something).

#42 Gwaihir, du bist eine himbeere

Gwaihir
  • Member of Gnni
  • 4317 posts
  • 15957 kills

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:47

Yeah but they'd be harder than bows to reload on horseback

#43 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3963 posts
  • 17775 kills

Posted 02 July 2013 - 13:18

I never really understood what was so "difficult" in the art of shooting a bow. There was no real skill needed, you could learn the positioning of your body and arms in a few days and the experience came on the battlefield whether you trained or not.

The only real difference between using a bow and a crossbow was the amount of strength and physical fitness the person drawing the bow needed to have.

#44 piotes, Paella ain't admin anymore

piotes
  • Member of CI
  • 1300 posts
  • 18864 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:16

Yeah, I once heard the strongest men in the english army were their archers because their longbows needed a lot of strength, anyway you actually need skill to shoot a bow

#45 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3291 posts
  • 62403 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:25

Yes I have done archery before, it is not easy and it is definitely not something you can pickup in a few days...highly trained bowmen like the mongols and welsh/british longbowmen would likely be of been able to give Olympic champions in archery a run for their money, skillwise anyway obviously they would not be able to match a modern athlete in stamina or nutrition. It is something that would have practised their entire life not to mention it being their livelihood.

#46 Gwaihir, du bist eine himbeere

Gwaihir
  • Member of Gnni
  • 4317 posts
  • 15957 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:39

Interesting fact:

In the middle ages in Britain, football was banned so that children would concentrate on practicing archery.

I reckon they would beat modern day Olympics archers no problem

I heard on some programme that you unless you trained from a young age, it would be literally impossible for you to pull a longbow to its furthest extent

#47 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3963 posts
  • 17775 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:56

I'm saying how training to be a longbowman doesn't take much more SKILL, rather than having to use more strength.

#48 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:22

You haven't been shooting a lot then. I have joined some traditional archers on one of their 'tournaments' (they don't really compete that much) and got to shoot myself quite a few times. It is nearly impossible to hit anything that is further away especially since you don't get to aim for a very long time or your arm will start wobbling around. Also one must remember that shooting uphill/downhill in forests is completely different from shooting on a flat field with some stationary targets.

#49 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3291 posts
  • 62403 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:36

And then imagine having to do that on a field in the middle of a battle in which you may or may not get killed.

#50 Vortigoat, Cheeki Breeki

Vortigoat
  • Member of Legion
  • 756 posts
  • 11899 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:37

Wouldn't archers shoot at each other before the battle even started?
I doubt that archers would continue shooting when the infantry is allready entangled.

#51 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3291 posts
  • 62403 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:39

Yeah I know that, I'm just saying I wouldn't fancy being shot at is all.

#52 Gwaihir, du bist eine himbeere

Gwaihir
  • Member of Gnni
  • 4317 posts
  • 15957 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:52

I doubt that archers would continue shooting when the infantry is allready entangled.

Was going to find that scene from Braveheart when Edward I orders his archers to fire into melee, but its too much effort

#53 Vortigoat, Cheeki Breeki

Vortigoat
  • Member of Legion
  • 756 posts
  • 11899 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:45

Was going to find that scene from Braveheart when Edward I orders his archers to fire into melee, but its too much effort

Because Braveheart is so historicly accurate. (----- Archery pun , cuz accurate hahahahahaha...ill go back to my cave now.

#54 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3963 posts
  • 17775 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:48

You haven't been shooting a lot then. I have joined some traditional archers on one of their 'tournaments' (they don't really compete that much) and got to shoot myself quite a few times. It is nearly impossible to hit anything that is further away especially since you don't get to aim for a very long time or your arm will start wobbling around. Also one must remember that shooting uphill/downhill in forests is completely different from shooting on a flat field with some stationary targets.

I haven't done any shooting at all, I'm going by logic and things other, far more experienced people have said.

#55 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:53

Who are these people? The archers i met had been doing it for a few years now and neither of them would hit a whole lot when shooting over larger distances.
Now you might be talking about people using modern bows, i tried one of those as well and they are infact a lot easier to shoot with. We are talking traditional bows similar to those used in medieval times though.

#56 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3963 posts
  • 17775 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:01

I'm not even speaking of being super accurate.

#57 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:16

I don't understand your argument then. Of course technically everyone can get an arrow into the air provided he is strong enough to draw the bow. Historically speaking we know for sure that archery was something people trained for their entire lifetime, I don't see in what way you are trying to argue with that.

#58 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3963 posts
  • 17775 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:21

You were one man in hundreds, if not thousands. You didn't have to aim nearly at all. This is getting really derailed off the tracks and I'm not wishing to continue the argument elsewhere either.

#59 Gwaihir, du bist eine himbeere

Gwaihir
  • Member of Gnni
  • 4317 posts
  • 15957 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:43

Because Braveheart is so historicly accurate. (----- Archery pun , cuz accurate hahahahahaha...ill go back to my cave now.

You really hit the mark with that comment

#60 Vortigoat, Cheeki Breeki

Vortigoat
  • Member of Legion
  • 756 posts
  • 11899 kills

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:45

You really hit the mark with that comment

I always wondered Gwaihir, are you into arrow dynamics?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users