• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Elendir, Nickname of Nickname: Elly

Elendir
  • Member of Akai
  • 357 posts
  • 25437 kills

Posted 04 September 2019 - 21:01

I just stompled upon this really realy good video.

So in fact everyone who is wearing plate armor would be a nearly non stopping killing maschine and archers couldnt do shit .... Elly would loose his job :(

Edited by Elendir, 04 September 2019 - 21:03.

#2 Sleekphantom, Laghairt eitilt Éire. Ladmin.

Sleekphantom
  • Member of Fratres
  • 2320 posts
  • 29805 kills

Posted 04 September 2019 - 22:21

Everyone would have died in the first battle as a peasant. No mercs.

• Matrona, Uchiha_Madara and RAPT0R like this

#3 Valandil, Telemnar, Pharazon, I don't like U

Valandil
  • Member of Norsemen
  • 129 posts
  • 62826 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:12

one word... poleaxes

• Mr_THEJaManes likes this

#4 RAPT0R, A_R_C_H_E_R

RAPT0R
  • 22 posts
  • 12153 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:09

they did not use bodkin arrows in the video and their bow was only 90 lbs, not 120 and more than medieval English bows ... at the right angle, the bodkin arrows pass through everything (shields, armors) ... bow - the best historical weapon ever

If Merc would be realistic, so there are no full plate armor. Full plate armor with mail and underwear weighed over 50 kilograms. It was useless for fight. 10 peasants with shields and one-handed hammers would easily defeat 10 full plate armor knights with flamberges (without losses). It was used only for effect, intimidation. In merc during the siege - full plate armored guys wouldn't even reach the walls in a given time, if it were by reality.

• Sikkimoto and South951 like this

#5 crep9, That guy you've seen but don't really know.

crep9
  • Member of RE
  • 3 posts
  • 5857 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:19

Edited by crep9, 05 September 2019 - 09:19.

• Zatupnerg likes this

#6 RAPT0R, A_R_C_H_E_R

RAPT0R
  • 22 posts
  • 12153 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:58

https://www.youtube....h?v=xyztjyKml3I

how long they could fight like this until they were exhausted (3-5 min), historical battles could last several hours in reality ... and look at that "speed" of fighting

#7 Mr_THEJaManes

Mr_THEJaManes
  • Member of RoseCroix
  • 37 posts
  • 29545 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:21

If Merc would be realistic, so there are no full plate armor. Full plate armor with mail and underwear weighed over 50 kilograms. It was useless for fight. 10 peasants with shields and one-handed hammers would easily defeat 10 full plate armor knights with flamberges (without losses).

Mind explaining me why would they wear it then? Seems like a stupid idea to spend crap load of money on set of armour that wont even protect you from peasants that spend most of their time on farms not practicing their whole lives like you did.

Wiki (I know that it isn't the greatest source) (Click to Show)

50kg my ass

+

https://youtu.be/Ej3qjUzUzQg?t=45

Description says 150lb in video you can hear 130lb.

I know that it isnt bodkin but still I didnt even leave a dent.

Thats a heavy arrow that carries metric fuck ton of kinetic energy.

18,3 meters is as point blank as you would get.

Truth be told that some of the bows found on Mary Rose were estimated at 185lb.

Edited by Mr_THEJaManes, 05 September 2019 - 13:11.

• Legendary_Rostam likes this

#8 Sf, https://youtu.be/KlgfqddpEEc

Sf
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1045 posts
  • 24974 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:01

Just take crossbow and laugh at all the plate retards.

Edited by Sf, 05 September 2019 - 11:01.

#9 IHaTeCookie, BIYONIK

IHaTeCookie
  • Member of DireWolfs
  • 42 posts
  • 22444 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:06

they did not use bodkin arrows in the video and their bow was only 90 lbs, not 120 and more than medieval English bows ... at the right angle, the bodkin arrows pass through everything (shields, armors) ... bow - the best historical weapon ever

If Merc would be realistic, so there are no full plate armor. Full plate armor with mail and underwear weighed over 50 kilograms. It was useless for fight. 10 peasants with shields and one-handed hammers would easily defeat 10 full plate armor knights with flamberges (without losses). It was used only for effect, intimidation. In merc during the siege - full plate armored guys wouldn't even reach the walls in a given time, if it were by reality.

Remember what happened when black powder was found? armor got thicker to the point it was too heavy to be effective. Same thing would happen if bodkin arrows could pass through anything like you stated. And there is no way 10 peasants are going to defeat 10 knights thats just stupid. If armor was as bad as you put it , I doubt it would be intimidating because why would you get intimidated because why would you if it was just useless "50" kgs?

• Kerox likes this

#10 crep9, That guy you've seen but don't really know.

crep9
  • Member of RE
  • 3 posts
  • 5857 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:55

https://www.youtube....h?v=xyztjyKml3I

how long they could fight like this until they were exhausted (3-5 min), historical battles could last several hours in reality ... and look at that "speed" of fighting

Edited by crep9, 05 September 2019 - 11:55.

• Zatupnerg and Legendary_Rostam like this

#11 RAPT0R, A_R_C_H_E_R

RAPT0R
  • 22 posts
  • 12153 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 12:39

Mr_THEJaManes, IHaTeCookie

Bodkin arrows were arrows specifically designed to pass through heavy armors. Penetrating the armor only a few centimeters, but many times it was enough to kill someone. Bodkin arrows were easy to pull out and because most of armies have light and medium armors, they weren't used as much.
Full plate armor protects the wearer from sword attacks and classic arrows shot from normal bows ... but all heavy axes, maces, hammers, crossbows and English bows (with bodkin arrows) pass through or destroy it. This type of armor was use in countries, where the sword was used as the main weapon (no axes, hammers,...) and that was reason, why the rich nobles, knights and kings used these armors. Many of them never used their armors in battle, because they just sat on their horses far from the battlefield and never personally joined the battle.

#12 Mr_THEJaManes

Mr_THEJaManes
  • Member of RoseCroix
  • 37 posts
  • 29545 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 13:02

Yet another wiki. (Click to Show)

And it did protect from hammers and axes, if it hadn't then no one would be wearing them.

Part with knights staying out of the fight is just silly. I battle a knight could prove himself as well as find nobles that he could capture and hold as hostage.

Edited by Mr_THEJaManes, 05 September 2019 - 13:05.

#13 IHaTeCookie, BIYONIK

IHaTeCookie
  • Member of DireWolfs
  • 42 posts
  • 22444 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 13:16

And the test was done with high carbon steel arrows which is something most archers did not even have

#14 Matrona, *Tyler1 machine gun sound effect*

Matrona
  • Member of Anottra
  • 539 posts
  • 46706 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 16:18

Tincan vs one cheeky boi with handgonne, who would win?

#15 Sleekphantom, Laghairt eitilt Éire. Ladmin.

Sleekphantom
  • Member of Fratres
  • 2320 posts
  • 29805 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 17:49

Tincan because Gonne user blew himself to shit.

#16 Uchiha_Madara, Querion

Uchiha_Madara
  • Member of Undaunted
  • 320 posts
  • 19147 kills

Posted 05 September 2019 - 21:29

Heavy armour surely protect you more, but armor always leave weak spots such as joints inner parts of bodies such as armpits. Moreover armor usually weight at least 50kg and after a while you will be dead tired meaning death. Besides look at the Battle of Agincourt I think where the french knights got demolished by the welsh longbowmen.

#17 IHaTeCookie, BIYONIK

IHaTeCookie
  • Member of DireWolfs
  • 42 posts
  • 22444 kills

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:53

late 14th-early 15th century armors(which is what we have in the mod) were never 50kg. They were around 25-30 kg and because the weight was evenly distrubited in the body you would not get tired so easily. I am not sure about the weight of armors in later periods but mercs dont have those anyways. Only armor that could be 50kg in the period would be a tournament armour 

#18 Rangah, @Aristotel

Rangah
  • Member of Anottra
  • 2383 posts
  • 76533 kills

Posted 06 September 2019 - 10:14

#19 Aristotel, @Rangah

Aristotel
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1300 posts
  • 31336 kills

Posted 06 September 2019 - 17:13

Mr_THEJaManes, IHaTeCookie

Bodkin arrows were arrows specifically designed to pass through heavy armors. Penetrating the armor only a few centimeters, but many times it was enough to kill someone. Bodkin arrows were easy to pull out and because most of armies have light and medium armors, they weren't used as much.
Full plate armor protects the wearer from sword attacks and classic arrows shot from normal bows ... but all heavy axes, maces, hammers, crossbows and English bows (with bodkin arrows) pass through or destroy it. This type of armor was use in countries, where the sword was used as the main weapon (no axes, hammers,...) and that was reason, why the rich nobles, knights and kings used these armors. Many of them never used their armors in battle, because they just sat on their horses far from the battlefield and never personally joined the battle.

Bodkins didn't penetrate plate armor. They could at max penetrate very thin parts of it, like vents on the helmets. Watch this vid from 2:30, he talks about bodkin (or any other arrow at that point) not being able to penetrate real steel armor

#20 Matrona, *Tyler1 machine gun sound effect*

Matrona
  • Member of Anottra
  • 539 posts
  • 46706 kills

Posted 06 September 2019 - 17:23

AP rounds I say

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users