I can confirm that guns are not effective during a zombie apocalypse for a vast ammount of reasons..
1. they are dependant on ammunition, not to mention specific calibers and ammo types.
2. They are noisy, attractng yet more zombies to your location and also predatory survivors, even if you had a suppresor, the lack of maintenence tools would eventualy make it defunct
3. Since a headshot is required to deactivate a zombie, accuracy issues would lead to vast wastages of ammunition.
4. Firing at night or in dark environments, the muzzle flash would lure zombies towards you within a 1 mile radius, and human survivors even further afar.
5. shell casings, these would leave behind evidence of your travels, unless you are going to try and pick up every shell casing, you do not want people to be able to track you easily.
These are just some of the reasons...eguhegeheh
When i watch TWD, I find myself saying all the time...why didnt he just use the knife? or axe? eguhegu...leeeel
Also before you try to contest my statements, I can confirm that I have a PHD and masters degree etc in zombie survival leeeeeeeeeel
Disclaimer: The above statements are in refference to the lone wolf survival option, assuming one is using stealth tactics to survive.
Edited by wangchan, 13 March 2015 - 20:23.