Photo

Cavalry Balancing Ideas

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

Poll: Cavalry Balancing Ideas (244 member(s) have cast votes)

Which ideas of balancing cavalry do you like?

1. Do nothing, everything is fine. (75 votes [30.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.74%

2. Disallow a rider to do actions when his horse is jumping. (56 votes [22.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.95%

3. Interrupt rider's attack when his horse is rearing. (84 votes [34.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.43%

4. Decrease the speed of wounded horses. (106 votes [43.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.44%

5. Pay a little less gold to cavalrymen. (29 votes [11.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3963 posts
  • 17775 kills

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:30

You are putting your words in my mouth. I claimed that this is a melee based game and that the priority should be put towards having a good fight instead of fighting it out as cav or archer.

No, it really shouldn't be a priority for infantry to have the upper hand. The game was intended to be diverse and have multiple classes which all have strengths and weaknesses. Vikingr is a mod that focuses primarily on melee fights, limiting archers and cavalry very heavily. But even there, archers and cavalry can be an extremely deadly force when used properly. Native is the unmodded version of the game and both archers and cavalry are very strong there as well.

What is the point of fighting out a battle when the next thing you know 5 archers are camping a hill laying down fire on you. I don't blame the archers, they just want to protect themselves from being lanced in the back. I blame the game and I made a thread about this explaining why and included video to prove it is wrong.

Positioning and map balance is to blame for this, not one class being overpowered. I agree that the class balance may need some tweaking, but nerfing one to the ground and claiming infantry is superior is not the way it should be.

I am not sure what you said. Something to promote archery towards what I replied that this game is called "Mount and Blade". What I meant with that is explained above. Of course I want archers to not suck and still be a good class to play. but as it currently is, this class that is used for players that want to get easy kills+good k/d. Just look at the global scoreboard. In fact just look at most siege round.

The scoreboard is a completely irrelevant factor. First it were Leroy, Bryan, who dominated the scoreboard, people said the mod is balanced. Then it was the cavalry players like Archaen and people claimed the mod favors cavalry too heavily. Now, when it's archers on top, people say archers need to be nerfed. What it really shows is that people who make it their goal to be on top of the scoreboard by means such as suiciding to be on the defending team and death evading have a much easier way of getting there than those that play the game fairly. The scoreboard does not reflect the actual ingame balance.

Edited by Jock, 28 February 2015 - 11:31.

• Bloedwoud, chrisi, sandorra and 2 others like this

#22 Rangah, perkons to accessorie propane and propane in deals Rangah

Rangah
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1805 posts
  • 53049 kills

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:36

A good idea would be to reduce the maneuverability and speed for light horses, because those attributes let light cav do ridiculous things. Also, heavy cav could get a tiny buff in speed, since it is nearly impossible to play, because light cav players simply chase you down and poke their lances at you until you die.

• Ryan likes this

#23 wangchan, The Face of Mercenaries

wangchan
  • Member of SKoD
  • 3763 posts
  • 10501 kills

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:34

Homer has laid down his suggestions, now discuss that and dont try to make new ideas lel...

as I said before, stopping cav from attacking while getting reared is a big step in the right direction...

With polearm, you can stop the horse in its tracks and make it rear, and u now have the opportunity to kill the horse outright, instead of allowing the cav to attack u back and then run off, which isnt fair.

so that would be good...

#24 Korpi_Jopo, Dark suuls

Korpi_Jopo
  • Member of Korpi
  • 447 posts
  • 33955 kills

Posted 28 February 2015 - 13:22

Homer has laid down his suggestions, now discuss that and dont try to make new ideas lel...

I think the people who actually play the mod might know more about the balance than homer but okay go hard like putin.

#25 wangchan, The Face of Mercenaries

wangchan
  • Member of SKoD
  • 3763 posts
  • 10501 kills

Posted 28 February 2015 - 18:15

homer didnt develop this mod by watching Family Guy.....he plays too u know haehae

• Megamen, Anchor_The_Mean and Unifyforce like this

#26 Trace_Legacy, COME! We trade huehuehue!

Trace_Legacy
  • Member of SKoD
  • 1067 posts
  • 33309 kills

Posted 28 February 2015 - 23:44

yeah Wangeldo speaks the truth! don't do anything i love my black knight of death as he is :,,,(.

#27 Viator, the White Wolf

Viator
  • Member of Dayne
  • 1657 posts
  • 34855 kills

Posted 01 March 2015 - 13:17

Do anything, but don't decrease the speed of wounded horses. That really sucks. I hated that feature wherever I came across it. I love cavalry, but that would make me never use a horse again. I guess some cav guys will agree.

So I think adding that feature would reduce the amount of cavalry players, but seriously, that isnt balancing.

• Gwaihir and Rangah like this

#28 wangchan, The Face of Mercenaries

wangchan
  • Member of SKoD
  • 3763 posts
  • 10501 kills

Posted 01 March 2015 - 13:25

Viator speaks the truth...we must not decrease the speed of horses....

I play as HA...and I can easily dominate a melee cav by chasing them with arrows....the natural instinct is to run away from the HA and the HA will get bored or distracted....if you decrease speed of wounded horses, then HA will just mop up all enemy cav easily as they get slowed down in battle...please no omg...

#29 SkyTime, Rangah deals in propane and propane accessorie to perkons

SkyTime
  • Member of Korpi
  • 6537 posts
  • 22629 kills

Posted 02 March 2015 - 00:34

Do anything, but don't decrease the speed of wounded horses. That really sucks. I hated that feature wherever I came across it. I love cavalry, but that would make me never use a horse again. I guess some cav guys will agree.

So I think adding that feature would reduce the amount of cavalry players, but seriously, that isnt balancing.

You're actually quite right now that I think of it. Though I can see it working out if the decrease in speed is minor. It will nerf cavalry against HA a lot though, so that's that.

#30 Shemaforash, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Shemaforash
  • Member of 2qL4U
  • 386 posts
  • 9769 kills

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:09

Something that makes dealing with cavalry easier could be possibly the maneuverability when you get reared for two seconds. Otherwise I'm gonna be a dick and advise an upkeep system since it punishes cavalry a lot.

#31 Homer

Homer
  • 1375 posts
  • 12689 kills

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:14

Why don't you like the rearing idea? It will allow you to attack (and stop) a horse without danger of being hit the next second by the rider's lance.
  • wangchan, EnergyFTW, Bertman and 2 others like this

#32 chrisi, Rise and rise again until lambs become lions

chrisi
  • Member of Fratres
  • 481 posts
  • 13280 kills

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:07

when the horse is rearing when a spear attaks the horse let the horserider falldown it should be a 50% chance that he will falld down :3

#33 Gazz, in the army now woo o o

Gazz
  • Member of Crusade
  • 2566 posts
  • 26347 kills

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:47

More RNG in a game like Warband is bad.

#34 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3963 posts
  • 17775 kills

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:46

Why don't you like the rearing idea? It will allow you to attack (and stop) a horse without danger of being hit the next second by the rider's lance.

The problem with cavalry is the stats of horses imo. There's no defined weaknesses for most of them. The ability to manuever really well and speed up extremely quickly from fights gives them the upper hand in almost every situation.
  • zDevilBox likes this

#35 Dinkywinky, Sandorra you're a damn pleb. Go eat Dog shit with Paprica.

Dinkywinky
  • Member of Akai
  • 1177 posts
  • 16965 kills

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:23

Imo the rearing option seems to be the best compromise.
  • Bertman likes this

#36 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3291 posts
  • 62403 kills

Posted 04 March 2015 - 11:53

Someone needs to make a compilation video of cavalry bullshit, statistics have no bearing on the idiotic stunts they can pull while playing, I nominate Skytime.

• Bloedwoud, sandorra, Lt and 2 others like this

#37 SkyTime, Rangah deals in propane and propane accessorie to perkons

SkyTime
  • Member of Korpi
  • 6537 posts
  • 22629 kills

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:16

I'd do it but I get so fucking angry while playing that I can't do anything than alt+f4. Today is a perfect example. Holy shit it was the worst time I've ever had in this mod and literally the last time I'm even going to think about wasting my time in fucking battle. HH is the only time I can play it seems, unless siege somehow gets populated.

Did I also mention how retarded awlpike is? Yeah, some people still use it and it's fucking horrible. Usually they get shot to pieces though but not this time, surprisingly. Fuck.

Edited by SkyTime, 04 March 2015 - 13:26.

#38 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3291 posts
  • 62403 kills

Posted 04 March 2015 - 13:36

I wish people would play siege off happy hour, it is 10x more fun with like 40-50 people.

#39 SkyTime, Rangah deals in propane and propane accessorie to perkons

SkyTime
  • Member of Korpi
  • 6537 posts
  • 22629 kills

Posted 04 March 2015 - 15:57

It's quite fun but battle can be just as fun. But I won't touch battle until something is done about this. It's not worth wasting time at anymore.

#40 Homer

Homer
  • 1375 posts
  • 12689 kills

Posted 04 March 2015 - 16:40

What's wrong with the characteristics? Just compare them with the native characteristics:
Mercenaries Courser         HP 100   armor 16   speed 47   maneuver 45   charge 12
Native Courser              HP 110   armor 12   speed 50   maneuver 44   charge 12

Mercenaries Sarranid Horse  HP 100   armor 16   speed 46   maneuver 47   charge 12
Native Sarranid Horse       HP 120   armor 10   speed 43   maneuver 54   charge 16

Mercenaries Charger         HP 140   armor 46   speed 39   maneuver 37   charge 32
Native Charger              HP 165   armor 58   speed 40   maneuver 44   charge 32
Notice that native armored horses have significantly better characteristics. They are stronger, faster and more manoeuvrable.

How do you image solving the problem by nerfing characteristics of horses? Do you think the problem would be solved if the manoeuvrability would be decreased by a couple of points? Or do you imagine horses being so slow that infantrymen can catch them easily?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users