Photo

Archer Poll

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

Poll: Archer balance poll (410 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion of the current archer class?

1. Archers are too powerful at the moment. (133 votes [32.44%])

Percentage of vote: 32.44%

2. Archers are underpowered. (46 votes [11.22%])

Percentage of vote: 11.22%

3. Archers are too powerful on certain maps and game-modes. (111 votes [27.07%])

Percentage of vote: 27.07%

4. Archers are fine the way they are. (120 votes [29.27%])

Percentage of vote: 29.27%

Do you think a weak 0 skill shield would be helpful?

1. Yes. (267 votes [65.12%])

Percentage of vote: 65.12%

2. No. (143 votes [34.88%])

Percentage of vote: 34.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3398 posts
  • 63751 kills

Posted 16 May 2014 - 17:29

Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on archers and if they are too good or not good enough. Consider it a continuation of some of the discussion that has been had on the suggestions board. There we're some of complaints about archer spam/archer stacking on the servers and the class seems to be more popular than before.

Homer has suggested the idea of making a very weak 0 skill shield on the marketplace that might help infantry deal with the issue of archer spam. These would likely be the current red, yellow, blue and green shields and maybe a heraldic one for clans to make use of. The shield would be bad for any sort of melee fight but would be able to block a few arrows so infantry can move around in the open a little easier without being shot to pieces.

Suggest what you think could be good ideas to help balance the class, if you feel they need balancing at all.

#2 Gooien101

Gooien101
  • 306 posts
  • 18284 kills

Posted 16 May 2014 - 17:39

IMO, some maps (like Grunwalder Castle) can turn into an archerheaven which can be annoying from time to time. Though, I think nerving the archer class is not a good idea but a shield with 0 skill points can make a good differance.

*Maybe you could make it so that 0 skill point shields can only be used by 18/18 or higher builds, otherwise assassins/light inf. could save one more point and have even more athletics/training/ironflesh/powerstrike. The shields could of course also be available to assassins/light inf. but then the would need to use a skill point for shields* 

Edited by Gooien101, 16 May 2014 - 18:22.

#3 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3398 posts
  • 63751 kills

Posted 16 May 2014 - 17:42

I don't think the shields would be suitable for melee fighting or blocking swings at all, they would be extremely weak but able to withstand a couple of arrows for when moving from cover to cover.

#4 Gooien101

Gooien101
  • 306 posts
  • 18284 kills

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:21

Ahhh, that could also work of course :)

#5 LastKnightOfCydonia, EIN CLAN, EIN DERP, EIN CYDONIA. HAIL THE PURPLE ONE.

LastKnightOfCydonia
  • Member of BOC
  • 3475 posts
  • 20533 kills

Posted 16 May 2014 - 18:35

Archers are only a nuance when they are stacked on 1-side or if the map just naturally favours archers (grunwalder castle), but since I only play tincanshielder I don't find archers that annoying due to my natural resistance.

But I do find it annoying that if you use the Masterwork Plate with Great Bascinet, you can't be an archer cos you lose the helmet as soon as you have a bow or some sort of ranged weapon (not throwable) in your hands.

Fix pls.

#6 Bauglir

Bauglir
  • Member of Raven
  • 1177 posts
  • 46944 kills

Posted 16 May 2014 - 19:21

If the problem is that teams get stacked with archers, or any kind of "archer spam" then nerfing doesn't really help. Unless you nerf them so much that many people stop playing them. I think they are fine as they are now, it's as annoying as full team of cavs tbh

• Lt likes this

#7 Korpi_Jopo, Dark suuls

Korpi_Jopo
  • Member of Korpi
  • 447 posts
  • 33971 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:58

Archers are fine , use shields you scrubs , why add 0 skill shields when you can allocate 1 skill point from ur 2h derp build and use the low tier shields anyway..

also all who say archers are OP are 2h nubs faka u!

Edit: Also always when i play siege at happy hour its full of spamming 2h scrubs / tincans , not archers so gg

Edited by Korpi_Jopo, 17 May 2014 - 08:02.

• Remus and Purin like this

#8 SkyTime, 00101111 00101111 01100100 01100001 01100010 00101111 00101111

SkyTime
  • Member of Korpi
  • 7436 posts
  • 22787 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:43

Archers are only a problem when they're mostly stacked to a team. Since archers pretty much counter each other most of the time.

#9 Jepekula

Jepekula
  • Member of Korpi
  • 1726 posts
  • 10732 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:49

I'd like the high tier bows to be less accurate, slower but pack a bloody punch, because fuck the French ala Agincourt.

Anyway, back to the topic. Archers are bloody easy to survive against, and they would be easy to kill if the turds playing Mercenaries stopped being complete noobturds and got a bloody shield instead of a n00bish twohander.

Archers are only a problem to turds.

• SkyTime likes this

#10 Viator, the White Wolf

Viator
  • Member of Dayne
  • 1657 posts
  • 34855 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:25

Lately siege in general has turned to an archer festival. One cannot do anything about that...

• Katniss likes this

#11 Katniss, Whats this then, eh?

Katniss
  • Member of Crusade
  • 521 posts
  • 14614 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 11:35

Lately siege in general has turned to an archer festival. One cannot do anything about that...

this.

#12 sandorra, The God of (In)Justice

sandorra
  • Member of Korpi
  • 7865 posts
  • 26323 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:15

Shield still blocks arrows if properly used. If you take a peek in native siege servers, you don't see people running around without shield (unless they are naked and wielding the biggest 2h they can get. Why? Because you get shot if you don't have a shield.

#13 LastKnightOfCydonia, EIN CLAN, EIN DERP, EIN CYDONIA. HAIL THE PURPLE ONE.

LastKnightOfCydonia
  • Member of BOC
  • 3475 posts
  • 20533 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:20

Wrong. Most, if not all, 2handers or polearmers during HH in siege (cos people think its worth more gold for some reason) don't use all 4 slots for weapons, as they only carry the main weapon and perhaps something to throw. Which means they could easily throw 1 teeny weeny points from ex. athletics to shield and have a scrubby shield to protect them when approaching the walls or closing in on archers.

I mean, you can change to your uber 2hander/polearmer once you catch the archer and gloriously massacre him before finding another target to kill instead of going for the flag.

But no, this is all too complicated for the fine folk who play this mod. Its so much more easier to keep whining about archers turning you into a hedgehog as you slowly ascend a ladder that is basically designed to turn you into the beforementioned hedgehog.

Cos hey,2hander/polearmer masterrace, shields are for noobs who can't block and can't handle swagyolo#1v1mebrah.

E: I get shot below my shield once or twice during my playtime, but I counter it by remembering to watch where the archer is aiming and moving my shield to cover that part of my body more.

Edited by LastKnightOfCydonia, 17 May 2014 - 12:21.

#14 Remus, Im unlucky, but get proper earnings

Remus
  • Member of Emperium
  • 6853 posts
  • 49400 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:27

Because you are smart

#15 LastKnightOfCydonia, EIN CLAN, EIN DERP, EIN CYDONIA. HAIL THE PURPLE ONE.

LastKnightOfCydonia
  • Member of BOC
  • 3475 posts
  • 20533 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:34

Nein, I just have common sense.

#16 Remus, Im unlucky, but get proper earnings

Remus
  • Member of Emperium
  • 6853 posts
  • 49400 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 13:04

1 point on shield is not much anyway, 2hand derps can live with 4 points on Ironflesh aswell ( if PT is not used ).

Didn't Varnic and his guys do it aswell?

#17 Viator, the White Wolf

Viator
  • Member of Dayne
  • 1657 posts
  • 34855 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 13:28

Cydonia, I don't know what you are on about. Playing during the hour of plenty I see more than half of the people playing as archers, maybe a quater are shielders and the rest is playing as cavalry or use two-handed weapons / polearms. And if you look at the scoreboard, you will see that the best warriors are archers. And another look to the Top-50 list reveals that there are dozen of archers rising in there lately. Just another evidence for the increasing use of bows during happy hour.

But I did not complain. I voted for "Archers are too powerful on certain maps and game-modes". And that is quite right. An archer has a difficult job on battle because of the rather open maps and the cavalry chasing for them while they aren't watching the field properly (there are exceptions, I know. But that is not the point). Whereas an archer is quite safe as defender of a castle. So the siege mode, as it is now, is a bloomy oasis for archers and since an archer is a stronger class this class is too powerful while playing siege.

Furthermore I'd like to point out that one cannot do anything about that. In the middle ages it's been like that, too. So, why bother. And implenting shields with no skill requirement makes no sense caus we got more than enough shields with just one skillpoint needed.

That's it, bai.

Edited by Rock_Solid, 17 May 2014 - 13:28.

#18 wangchan, The Face of Mercenaries

wangchan
  • Member of SKoD
  • 3860 posts
  • 10687 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 14:03

I dont know its all too much for me i dunno how to say!!! :'( they are just sometimes on many maps too overpowered :'(

ATTENTION:

Make a rack of shields at the start of every map, the players, no matter their class, can take on of the shields, but it cant be taken advantage of because it is not that strong, but will help against archers. this way all players can have some form of defense from archers without having to piss about switching to a shielder.

Edited by wangchan, 17 May 2014 - 14:06.

• Gooien101 likes this

#19 Remus, Im unlucky, but get proper earnings

Remus
  • Member of Emperium
  • 6853 posts
  • 49400 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 14:17

Seems legit

#20 LastKnightOfCydonia, EIN CLAN, EIN DERP, EIN CYDONIA. HAIL THE PURPLE ONE.

LastKnightOfCydonia
  • Member of BOC
  • 3475 posts
  • 20533 kills

Posted 17 May 2014 - 14:45

Rockie, I answered the "One cannot do anything about that"-part of your post.

I do admit I could have removed the "lately siege blablabla"-part but I am too lazy to do such things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users