Can you hear that? That's Dawlish shouting "Hooooooooooomeeeeeeerr!"

No but seriously, add it. :/

#63 ZombieJR

ZombieJR
  • Member of Akai
  • 1672 posts
  • 8829 kills

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:18

Been playing a lot today, everything is improved some way or another! Great work Homer!

#64 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:59

Yes this update is rather fantastic, i'm liking the fresh feeling it's brought to the modification, well done Homer for delivering yet another successful update. There is much to be done and there's a plethora of fantastic suggestions which can be considered and possibly implemented come the next updates, so I'm sure that in the future we will see more stuff to diversify and bring a unique flavour to the mod.

Most of all I am looking forward to the new maps, I hope you are considering Sandorra's map too, there's nothing quite as refreshing as a new map in my opinion.

Anyway thank you very much for this update, we as a community have asked and you have delivered and whilst there is much more which could be done this update is a large step in the right direction and will renew and sustain interest in the greatest mod for Mount and Blade:Warband.

Edited by Celtic, 03 January 2014 - 07:07.

#65 sandorra, Horus Lupercal

sandorra
  • Member of Korpi
  • 8775 posts
  • 26804 kills

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:54

I still need to realistify (make more realistic) the villages for Homer, and get either valtsu or Lt to shade stuff. After those, Homer probably starts running out of complaints about the map, and I can start a new project.

#66 Megamen, One, Two, Drink

Megamen
  • Member of Crusade
  • 3414 posts
  • 33781 kills

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:25

We all know Lt is lazy though  :rolleyes:

Edited by Megamen, 03 January 2014 - 12:25.

#67 Viator, the White Wolf

Viator
  • Member of Dayne
  • 1657 posts
  • 34873 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:46

Question. About horses.

At the moment we got a high difficulty for heavy horses and a low difficulty for light but fast horses. But isn't riding a light-fast horse way more difficult than riding a slow-armoured horse? Would it be possible to reverse the difficulty of horses so riding fast horses would require more skillpoints than using a warhorse?

Edited by Rock_Solid, 06 January 2014 - 11:24.

#68 sandorra, Horus Lupercal

sandorra
  • Member of Korpi
  • 8775 posts
  • 26804 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:06

Or the difficulty could be raised by couple points.

#69 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3965 posts
  • 18695 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:16

How many fucking times have I made the exact same fucking point...

#70 Viator, the White Wolf

Viator
  • Member of Dayne
  • 1657 posts
  • 34873 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:14

Well, if you dont like the fact that someone likes your ideas, then I cannot help.

#71 NinjaDuck, "To the Bancopter!" - Bromin

NinjaDuck
  • Member of Crusade
  • 1635 posts
  • 22193 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 15:18

Or the difficulty could be raised by couple points.

Then you would see Light armored guys on a charger, which is ridiculous.

#72 Viator, the White Wolf

Viator
  • Member of Dayne
  • 1657 posts
  • 34873 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 15:38

But better than those massive agicav spamm which is even more ridiculous. You need more skill to ride a fast horse than to ride a heavy one.

#73 Gazz, I stand with big dick Macron, fuck islam

Gazz
  • Member of Korpi
  • 2640 posts
  • 26535 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 18:15

Nerf maneuver. :)

Edited by Gazzyh1, 06 January 2014 - 18:58.

• Euronymous likes this

#74 Thalamond

Thalamond
  • 60 posts
  • 7992 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 20:38

Courser - 6 riding skill.

Hunter, Sarranid, Desert, noble hunter - 5 riding skill

steppe horse, Sarranid war horse,  - 4 riding skill.

steppe charger, charger, Saddle horse - 3 riding skill

heavy war horse, Mailed Hunter - 2 riding skill

Sumpter horse - 1 riding skill.

Like that?

Edited by Thalamond, 06 January 2014 - 20:39.

#75 lancerlot, God of Food

lancerlot
  • Member of Vintroth
  • 1626 posts
  • 24259 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 21:24

Courser - 6 riding skill.

Hunter, Sarranid, Desert, noble hunter - 5 riding skill

steppe horse, Sarranid war horse,  - 4 riding skill.

steppe charger, charger, Saddle horse - 3 riding skill

heavy war horse, Mailed Hunter - 2 riding skill

Sumpter horse - 1 riding skill.

Like that?

No becouse as It is atm , you can't use the heaviest Tincan armor with the plate the best ( heaviest ) horse. If you change it to that, we'll have HERP DERP TINCANS WITH HERO DERP TINCAN HORSES. They already have heavy horses, they don't need the best.

#76 Homer

Homer
  • 1377 posts
  • 12690 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 21:54

Personally I don't see why a faster horse would have a higher skill requirement. I doubt that a rider who can deal with a heavy destrier wouldn't be able to ride a light courser. I have asked an acquaintance of mine and she said that generally there's no connection between the speed and difficulty. There are horses that only experienced riders can deal with. But they are hard to ride due to their restiveness and impulsivity, not because they are fast. She also said that it's the rider who decides how fast the horse moves. That's exactly what we have now: a better riding skill allows to reach higher speeds with the same horse.

So, if you think that a courser was harder to ride than a heavy mailed warhorse, you should give some references.

Even if it would be true, it wouldn't be a good reason to change anything. The native approach is realistic enough and it's more intuitive. The riding skill allows to improve the speed and limits the use of the most heavy horses.

It's normal that the light horses are more popular than heavy ones. It's how it's supposed to be.

The courser was more common than the destrier, and preferred for hard battle as they were light, fast and strong. They were valuable, but not as costly as the destrier. They were also used frequently for hunting.

... horse armor was generally rarer, being reserved mainly for the elite heavy cavalry and predominantly for battle.

They are fast but very weak. If most of the cavalrymen would ride heavy horses, it would be a pain. Now an archer can be a big problem for a light horseman. The maneuverability of Courser was decreased significantly in this update.

Also, don't forget about the bonus of the riding skill. You are suggesting to force fast horsemen to invest more skill points into the Riding skill and make them even faster. At the same time, players on heavy horses would be able to invest less points into the skill and feel like they are riding slow donkeys.

Sorry, but I think the suggested approach looks a bit strange and it would make only problems.

By the way, how does the AAFK system work? Is it annoying, do you have any problems with it?
  • Dawlish likes this

#77 Gooien101

Gooien101
  • 306 posts
  • 18284 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 23:14

Not really but I wouldn't mind to see the time set to 2 minutes, when I'm talking in game about clanstuff I often have to stand still so i can type long sentences. Then I got the message to start moving otherwise I would be kicked so I think it would be better to expand the time a little bit or maybe make it that the timer would decrease a little bit faster when you are moving.

#78 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3420 posts
  • 63932 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 23:20

Homer I think you are forgetting that almost everyone in the mercs community is a fully qualified equestrian, blacksmith and historical expert on the middle ages.

• Delocin and Thalamond like this

#79 Altoleek, I am bad

Altoleek
  • 3683 posts
  • 13972 kills

Posted 06 January 2014 - 23:30

Yeah, Jerusalem was really Sweden!

Edited by altoleek, 06 January 2014 - 23:30.

• lancerlot and Vib like this

#80 Viator, the White Wolf

Viator
  • Member of Dayne
  • 1657 posts
  • 34873 kills

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:52

... horse armor was generally rarer, being reserved mainly for the elite heavy cavalry and predominantly for battle.

What you wrote sounds reasonable. You may've got a point, but we are playing a game and are not doing roleplay or something. So how come that your horses for elite cavalry bring so little bonuses. I for myself quite like the idea of using a heavy horse and I've tried it out several times, but everytime I had to accept the fact that I have no chance against those 18/18 or 21/15 people on fast horses. A close look to the top 50 list constitutes that fact. I see not a sinlge heavy cavalryman in that list but I do see quite a lot archers, two-handed-feinters and light cavalry (which means they're using the builds mentioned above). No heavy cavalry (+ not a single shielder, correct me if I am wrong, but that is another story). That states out the fact that heavy cavalry has no real bonus (and the most important bonus for cavalry is 'speed').

Back to your statement: How is it possible that elite heavy cavalry cannot be the best? Why doesnt bring using a heavy horse any advantage? Do you ever wonder why people use an item and why not (oh yes you do, don't get me wrong!!! :) ), but didn't you see that buying an expensive, slow and underpowered hose is not attractive at all? People do buy cheap, fast and good-for-combat-cause-of-massive-speed-bonus coursers and sarranid horses (although a hunter is a quite nice medium).

So I suggested to inverse the difficulties. One also could suggest to give heavy horses (heavy war horse and onwards) a speed boost so they were able to keep up with the faster horses. Well, you know, every item that has a higher price has something which a ) makes it worth that price and b ) makes it fair enough to buy. Since heavy horses have a quite high price (the heaviest horse is one of most expensive thing one can by) they should have something that makes them better than light horses, which justifies that high price. But at the moment one would be stupid to buy such a horse for that amount of money. And a last suggestion would be to differ between the armour I am able to wear and the horse I am able to ride. That way we would be able to dissallow people to wear a heavy plate armour on a heavy warhorse (this point is similar to the first suggestion), but then heavy horses could get a higher speed boost.

You need to give the people out here an impulsion to spend much money on a slow horse. At the moment buying a heavy horse brings no advantages (well, many hitpoints aren't needed and the damage is ridiculous since a hit buy such a horse would kill you instantly) to a player and thus people won't use them and thus you cannot speak of elite cavalry (!!!).

The higher the price the better the item. I can't say that about horses. At the moment it should be: The higher the price the even more ridiculous to buy.

In that introduction on the site it says that "everyone is on equal footing". Yes, true, no levels and those things, but using certain weapons + horses + builds will make you OP while using heavy horses (+ wearing some armours + wielding some weapons) will give you no chance. The character theme is "on equal footing" while the items aren't. Yeah, that may be normal, but if so, why do we have to pay high prices for those "bad" items?

Something has to be done to our (heavy) horses (Im not talking of a change of light horses which also would be possible, but has been suggested multiple times before me + I am not talking of the rare horse).

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Rock_Solid, 07 January 2014 - 07:47.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users