• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:38

What I have noticed in my 3 months and 2 days in this community is that people love to debate! (Or argue..)

Well I thought that our love of debating should be used to debate less serious issues to do with popular culture or address many issues and question social norms that we face in the modern world. As I am taking a Politics course this would be a great chance for me to learn something new also.

Every few days (whenever a debate has gone cold) I will edit this post and put in a new topic of debate. These topics will be chosen by you. Please comment a certain topic and I'll put up whatever one I think is best to go with for the moment. Only do this if there is no on-going debate.

Rules of debate:

1) Be respectful, this includes no personal insults or any language that may be considered offensive.

2) Try not to spam.

3) Feel free to use links as evidence such as pages from Wikipedia. 

4) Use of media such as pictures and videos is allowed.

5) Stay on topic.

6) You do not have to create long posts, your reply may be as long or short as you want it to be.

This debate does not have to be completely formal, I do not expect everyone to be as courteous as possible. The House of Commons in Westminster, London, always experience the most jeering and teasing of any debate, yet they remain respectful to some level. I expect you to do the same :)

To keep up-to-date with the debate I suggest following this thread and re-visiting whenever you can.

Topic of debate: TBA

Past topics: European Knight vs Japanese Samurai - Conclusion = Knight.

I urge everyone to get involved, have your say on the matter! Best of luck in The Grand Debate! 

Edited by Celtic, 02 December 2013 - 18:20.

#2 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16742 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:55

So how exactly do you define 'no-ongoing debate'? There is always some kind of discussion going on, that is the point of a forum. A lot of people might not be interested in that specific topic though, so why not just have a topic regardless of other threads? One thing i noticed from my time on the forums though is that hardly ever do discussions arise out of the actual originally intended topic. Almost always someone starts off with some kind of statement that others will challenge in certain parts, thus creating the actual controversy. Now seeing as you haven't been around the forums for very long you should probably know that quite a few political topics have already been discussed in great detail and have as such kind of run dry (because the active derps sort of know each others opinions already).

Also what kind of course are you taking? Is your politics course about a certain topic/era or is it a more general politology/political science class?

EDIT: I would also like to suggest a topic. Seeing as because of the 'Act on the General Freedom of Movement for EU Citizens' and the expansion of the EU to the east a whole new wave of immigrants is expected to arrive in europe (or western europe more precisely) in the next years (or actually already is arriving). Where do you see chances and dangers of immigration especially from eastern europe (Romagnia, Hungary etc.) ? Another thing related to the first question that i find rather interesting is the issue of so called Romani people (more commonly known as - without wanting to be politically incorrect - gypsies), that are coming to western europe in increasing numbers. An issue that isn't being adressed too much in the media yet, but will probably come up more and more often in the future. Does anyone have personal experience with that specific group of immigrants? What do you think/know are the causes/effects for/of their immigration and how should the EU respond to a massive migration ? Without trying to be too narrowing with the subject, maybe make sure you don't resort to unsupported prejudices (try to stick with stuff you actually know for a fact, either from personal experience, in which case please say so or with things you have taken from reliable sources) about certain groups, so we don't derail this into some semi-racist shitstorm.

I am not entirely sure if that was the kind of thing you had in mind, so feel free to ignore me if it isn't.

Edited by Wololo, 30 November 2013 - 03:27.

#3 Dawlish, Un-Officially retired

Dawlish
  • Member of Korpi
  • 3420 posts
  • 63932 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:13

Problem is that 90% of the community has zero actual knowledge of what they are debating or arguing about short of what gleaned from skimming over a Wikipedia article.
  • Lt likes this

#4 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16742 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:20

Then again that is fairly easy to see and i think there are quite a few people that know enough to give valueable input. That is also why i would suggest to keep the topics rather close to reality without going too far into political science, so that even people that don't necessarily know a lot about politics can still talk about their own subjective point of view.

Edited by Wololo, 30 November 2013 - 03:22.

#5 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:31

Well naturally I'm not going to be asking everybody to debate something like "The local supermarket in a village not far from Honolulu has bad costumer service" :P

Thank you for the very lengthy and great start to this thread Wololo, I certainly had you in mind when I was creating this. There are trillions of topics to be debated so I doubt that everything has been covered, though I understand that some people may already know each other's opinions though they always seem to be, as you said, off topic from the original post so at least here we have a place dedicated to these great debates which erupt from nothingness!

Right now I'm just studying the structure and processes of the British Government then we move on to our local Legislative Assembly for Northern Ireland. It sounds rather dull perhaps but it's so completely easy, maybe that is just because unlike the rest of my classmates I am genuinely interested in Politics xD

Anyway, I quite like that topic for debate. Immigration is a great issue that is affecting every one of us, although perhaps the more isolated people like me will have less experience in that as somebody who lives in England. I think everybody will have a say, I think we have a few immigrants in this community too.

I'd need to think about how to structure that question..maybe "Immigration has more negative impacts than positive impacts."? 

I would like to keep topics rather simple so everybody can have a point to make, so don't worry Dawlish even the more braindead people can type up their opinion :P

Edited by Celtic, 30 November 2013 - 03:51.

#6 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:53

I've updated the thread, the topic for debate is: "Mass immigration is having a negative impact on the world"

The debate is live as soon as the next person replies (once everybody has woken up!), and I will be participating also. :)

Let the debate begin!

Edited by Celtic, 30 November 2013 - 04:53.

#7 Jepekula, human rights are not trans rights, white men are not trans

Jepekula
  • Member of Korpi
  • 1729 posts
  • 10733 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:27

Immigration is not an inherently bad thing, although it might create some problems. If immigrants work and learn the language and culture of the place they migrated to, perhaps even assimilated to the new culture, the only possible problem they could create is more unemployment due to more working population. Otherwise, if the immigrants do not learn the culture of their new home, they may create problems with wierd habits and outrighteous demands of outrighteous shit, like for example the Sharia-law, and get a bad name for their ethnicity, which may cause xenophobia and xenophobic reactions from the "native population". Then again, they do not really even need to be completely different and wierdly mannered to cause a some sort of xenophobic reaction from certain groups, but that would still not cause the general population to react.

"Mass immigration is causing a negative effect on the world" is an horribly general statement, and there are so many variables and factors it is quite hard to say yes or no to it. The Finns migrated to Sweden in the later half of 20th century, without causing much problems, except that the bloody Swedes are envious now. However, Finnish and Swedish cultures are quite similar to each other, except that Swedish is lamer and without sauna, so the similarity causes assimilation, or atleast learning of the new culture, easy. If Finns were not so similar to Swedes, there might have been more problems.

#8 Prussia, Salty Brit

Prussia
  • Member of Legion
  • 1270 posts
  • 21936 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:08

This thread is stupid. The world is full of shit heads, debate now I guess...

*EDIT

Celtic is a post whore and wants his post count to reach the moon.

*2ndEDIT

We need migrant children from Africa and India so they can work in coal mines, without it I'd be forced to go and do it myself.

Edited by PrussiaRS, 30 November 2013 - 10:11.

#9 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16742 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:36

Oh prussia you disappoint me. I will write my two cents later.

One thing though celtic, i do think that a topic as general as this won't really provoce a debate. You need a controversy to start with, the question you posted is very general, like a school exam question and will only cause people to sort of write down all the stuff they know. Obviously Jepe is making good points but there is hardly a lot of debate coming from there, at best i could add things that i know about immigration to germany and possibly some of the ideas behind the 'Act of Free Movement'. I doubt anyone will do more than sort of nod and carry on. We can still try this of course.

Edited by Wololo, 30 November 2013 - 11:36.

#10 piotes, Paella ain't admin anymore

piotes
  • Member of CI
  • 1329 posts
  • 21675 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:50

Who would win in a samurai vs a late medieval knight fight?

(I need you guys to give me a lot of reasons because theres a turd that thinks that samurais were supermen and katanas were actually lightsabers, i tried everything but he doesnt want to change his mind)

Edited by piotes, 30 November 2013 - 11:50.

#11 Folms, Queen F

Folms
  • Member of Akai
  • 1290 posts
  • 4208 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:35

Here is a debate for you.

Cats are better than dogs.

GO!

#12 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:01

Who would win in a samurai vs a late medieval knight fight?

(I need you guys to give me a lot of reasons because theres a turd that thinks that samurais were supermen and katanas were actually lightsabers, i tried everything but he doesnt want to change his mind)

Haha I have a feeling people could fight about that one quite a bit :P As immigration may seem like too general and people may just be like "2 deep 4 me" and move on, I think i'll shift it aside and go for a topic more close to Mercenaries itself, so just as Piotes suggested we'll go with the samurai vs late medieval knight fight.

Now that I know what might work or what won't, we can try this properly xD 

I'll save that one for later Folms xD

Debate topic: Who would win in a samurai vs a late medieval knight fight?

Edited by Celtic, 30 November 2013 - 14:05.

#13 Jepekula, human rights are not trans rights, white men are not trans

Jepekula
  • Member of Korpi
  • 1729 posts
  • 10733 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:05

Samurai existed for a long time, and what late medieval, in specific? 14th century? 15th century? 16th century?

You need to be more specific, damnit.

#14 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:06

It was Piotes suggestion, by late medieval I imagine he means the 15th century.

Edited by Celtic, 30 November 2013 - 14:06.

#15 Roran 13, Sandorra's practice target

Roran 13
  • Member of Vintroth
  • 1290 posts
  • 31645 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:10

I will post a wall of text here soon. You hereby brought my history rage upon yourself.

#16 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:18

I'm looking forward to it ^_^

#17 SkyTime, 01110011 01100101 01100101 01110100 01101000 01100101

SkyTime
  • Member of Korpi
  • 7483 posts
  • 23113 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:22

I'd guess a samurai would get their puny ass handed to them, that's what they get for being such fagets.

#18 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:25

To be fair, samurai were quicker than heavily armoured knights. I think samurai relied more on their agility rather than brute force

#19 sandorra, Horus Lupercal

sandorra
  • Member of Korpi
  • 8753 posts
  • 26781 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:35

True, but katanas were slashing weapons mainly. They were also fragile as hell. If a broadsword swinged at katana, it would have to take the hit along the blade. Most likely, without being an expert on weapons, a direct hit on the side of a katana would break the thin blade.

Then there's also the fact that medieval european knights were more of strength than speed. Broadswords, despite their cutting edge, would just as much be used for stabbing and sinking the blade on the opponents side than making cuts like with the katanas.

#20 Celtic

Celtic
  • Member of Anottra
  • 1723 posts
  • 4115 kills

Posted 30 November 2013 - 14:45

That said, the samurai's agility would allow them to dance around the cuts, leaving the knight drained of energy. Even a very heavily armoured knight would have gaps in his armour, points to expose, otherwise he'd be rather immobile :P It would only take a few cuts into those exposed points to severely weaken him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users