Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord (Thoughts, images, info)

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

#41 Celtic, Unofficial Mercs Resident Psychologist

Celtic
  • Member of OT
  • 1700 posts
  • 3950 kills

Posted 27 September 2013 - 23:12

Some voice acting wouldn't hurt either but that's just optional and not really something to focus on xD

#42 sandorra, The God of (In)Justice

sandorra
  • Member of Korpi
  • 7867 posts
  • 26323 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 00:19

I really feel like you just totally ignored what Wolo said.

#43 Celtic, Unofficial Mercs Resident Psychologist

Celtic
  • Member of OT
  • 1700 posts
  • 3950 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 00:26

What do you mean? Wolo said that the game doesn't get beyond the combat elements of it, that improvements to politics and the economy would be good and I replied saying that improvements to essentially everything apart from the combat would be a good idea

You can explain it to me incase I missed something and messed up though :P

#44 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16742 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:01

Well to be fair sandorra kind of reads more into what i wrote because he knows my take on this from conversations we had and other posts i made. Generally i wouldn't support concentrating on better graphics, because as i said that would require big development teams (if you look at what most people in game development teams actually do, it is mostly graphics and the like). Big development teams need money which most of the time means joining in with a big publisher, which quite often can result in a sort of 'mainstreaming' of the product.

As a sort of alternative take on medieval rpg-like gameplay mount and blade isn't mainstream at all. It is frustrating to play for beginners and has very little content for casual players as long-term motivation only comes through engaging with the big mod community. I would argue that this setup wouldn't benefit from a big publisher mainstreaming the game. We might get better graphics, but we would have to give up all hopes on historical accuracy (as far as it is achievable in calradia as a fantasy world) and singleplayer geared towards realistic politics and economics. A very simple comparison i like to bring up is Total War games and Paradox Interactive ones. They are both strategy games depicting the same eras, but looking at them you can see where mainstreaming kicks in and where smaller teams interested in history put their focus.

Total War games can be very much enjoyable, but they never reach the same sophistication of historicalness and detail that the Paradox games do.
Mount and Blade is of the latter kind so keeping it that way is probably a main interest, because all of the new features and improvements are coming from the very fanbase, not from a target group department that tries to sell as many copies as possible. That might slow things a bit down, but it ensures that we get exactly what we want, eventhough it might seem like that is essentially just a new editor for our diligent little modders to work with.

#45 Celtic, Unofficial Mercs Resident Psychologist

Celtic
  • Member of OT
  • 1700 posts
  • 3950 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:25

I've never been one to be won over by visuals, I always prefer the actual game content rather than how it looks. I mean, come on, Age of Empires 2 is one of the best games ever for example and that's because of the endless fun you can have with it. 

Another example is Runescape, I'll assume you haven't heard of it but essentially it started off with typically simple graphics but people loved playing it because it was kept fun. The small team that ran the game and the forums were so tightly knit with the community that it worked so well. However then big investors came from across the sea in the United States and the team's ranks multiplied to the hundreds. Now there are great graphics but microtransactions and a lack of the community feeling has left it less active than it was years ago when I still played.

I actually rather like the fantasy aspect of Mount and Blade, it's not at the point where we have dragons and wizards nor is it limiting us due to trying to stay historically accurate which makes the game more fun for me personally. 

There is definitely a problem with the game in that it can take too long to really get started up which may throw some players off and eventually you are just repeating yourself through constant battles (mostly victories once you know what troop setup is best - Swadian Knights for example) and it just becomes very long winded and rather boring. 

If not for the brilliant variety of modifications that have been created and managed by so many dedicated people (Such as those that created and manage Mercenaries) then this game would have very little long term appeal. 

I want to be selfish here and say that I do really want some graphical improvements on the overall world map because there are just little things that can be done without too much effort which could really change that and breathe some more life into the game.

For me though it's about the Politics and Diplomacy. Having an army and squishing everybody is great but I want to manipulate, blackmail, betray and plot just as was done during the Medieval Age. 

Honestly I think Taleworlds are community minded and I really would rather have a small dedicated team that builds a great game for their loyal players rather than a big team rolling in the cash whilst slowly sapping out the soul of the game that I love.

#46 Gorlock911, NA God

Gorlock911
  • Member of Emperium
  • 877 posts
  • 5192 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:21

Update:

• Taleworlds fixed their NEW website, and now you can visit the new bannerlord page, I have posted it on the main post(first page) for you.
  • Made a different screenshot link from their official site which features 12 new pictures.
  • Updated thread and made it much cleaner and neater.
  • Added the story/plot to bannerlord and I must say, I really like this plot and really hope they bring all it tales to the game.
  • Enjoy!

Edited by Gorlock911, 28 September 2013 - 02:25.

#47 Celtic, Unofficial Mercs Resident Psychologist

Celtic
  • Member of OT
  • 1700 posts
  • 3950 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:27

Only 3 royal factions this time? Interesting, I wonder if that'll be a bad or good thing, that remains to be seen xD

Thank you very Gorlock, I appreciate the effort you've gone to keep us informed :)

#48 Gorlock911, NA God

Gorlock911
  • Member of Emperium
  • 877 posts
  • 5192 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:26

Go to bed Irish noob! Thanks :3

Edited by Gorlock911, 28 September 2013 - 03:26.

#49 Celtic, Unofficial Mercs Resident Psychologist

Celtic
  • Member of OT
  • 1700 posts
  • 3950 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:27

No sleeping sucks :(

#50 Jepekula

Jepekula
  • Member of Korpi
  • 1726 posts
  • 10732 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:52

The once-mighty Calradic Empire is in a state of decline. Warlike tribes have seized swaths of its territory. Client kingdoms have declared their independence. The Emperor has died without leaving an heir, leaving three jealous factions to scramble for power. Mercenary companies, bandit lords and nomads hover on the sidelines like vultures waiting for a meal.

Fucking awesome. This is just fucking awesome.

As a setting, the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the rise of derpy European kingdoms is just bloody awesome.

But, anyway. "The Emperor has died without leaving an heir, leaving three jealous factions to scramble for power." This might either refer to politics, where the three bunches want their own derp to the throne, or it might just be a herpyderp endless state of civil war, like what you would expect from Warband. I doubt it refers to the actual amount of in-game kingdoms/tribes/whatever you can join, since, well.

"Warlike tribes have seized swaths of its territory. Client kingdoms have declared their independence." There would be atleast two warlike tribes, since, well. It says "tribes". There also would seem to be atleast two client kingdoms, since, well, again the plural form is used.

It also speaks of nomads. Rise of Khergits? Maybe Khergits will be just some derpy bandits, seeing as they have not maybe been united under one banner?

#51 Gorlock911, NA God

Gorlock911
  • Member of Emperium
  • 877 posts
  • 5192 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:30

For the lolz of course:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=y_BZ8M9SaNk

#52 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3965 posts
  • 18376 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:49

Seeking for an arguement.

No. I just find it a bit strange to look for "clipping errors" when it's been what, six months since the announcement? 

And the "horses will be killing machines from what I can tell from a handful of pre-beta/alpha screenshots" is rather stupid as well. Seeing as they're aiming for more of the early medieval - late Roman era I think horses won't be as useful as they were thus far. 

Edited by King of Scotland, 28 September 2013 - 07:54.

#53 Altoleek, I am bad

Altoleek
  • 3683 posts
  • 13972 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:03

Alright then.. I still think the faces look cartoonish.

I don't really have any high hopes yet.. Not after CA really fucked up with RTW2 right after the release.

Showing great looking pictures of their modules and a little gameplay video with some awesome graphic system but when i tried using extreme it didn't even look like that one. 

So i do hope this game will be great but i don't have any high hopes yet.

Edited by altoleek, 28 September 2013 - 08:07.

#54 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3965 posts
  • 18376 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:07

CA had a huge publisher. Taleworlds is self publishing. Seeing as they delivered a perfectly solid game back in 2010 with Paradox being the publisher, things can only go uphill from here. Of course, I don't want to be too optimistic, but Taleworlds has yet to screw up for me.

#55 Altoleek, I am bad

Altoleek
  • 3683 posts
  • 13972 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:11

But new game = New and more people which is one the reasons they could change for exampel the combat system or add these special abilities like in WoR which i did not like.. They will prob add loads of new stuff prob most of us wont like that have played M&B for a long while.. That's my worry.

They prob do listen to the community but they also want what they think will make them more popular.

''Horses will be like machines'' If that is  ment as it will be alot more easier to kill as a cavarly-man then they have not listened to what the community have asked for.

Edited by altoleek, 28 September 2013 - 08:14.

#56 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3965 posts
  • 18376 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:11

What?

Gorlock was the one saying how horses are going to be invincible without anything to back it up whatsoever but "ruuumours".

But new game = New and more people which is one the reasons they could change for exampel the combat system or add these special abilities like in WoR which i did not like.. They will prob add loads of new stuff prob most of us wont like that have played M&B for a long while.. That's my worry.

Where are you taking this from? Taleworlds isn't Fatshark/Paradox. Warband was a huge step uphill from M&B and I don't think any feature that was in M&B was removed/made useless in Warband.

#57 piotes, Paella ain't admin anymore

piotes
  • Member of CI
  • 1321 posts
  • 21056 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:39

Allow the engine to support +300 players and be able to have decent fighting, id love to play PW on Bannerlord without that fucking lag

#58 Remus, Im unlucky, but get proper earnings

Remus
  • Member of Emperium
  • 6858 posts
  • 49400 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:46

Allow the engine to support +300 players and be able to have decent fighting, id love to play PW on Bannerlord without that fucking lag

And self moving weapons like this morning flail or banners on lances that move.

#59 Jock

Jock
  • Member of LV
  • 3965 posts
  • 18376 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:48

I've never really understood the awesomeness in having a 200+ player clusterfuck on one server and map. Small skirmishers are much preferable and actually require some skill and tactical thought.
  • The Guardian and Jepekula like this

#60 The Guardian, :^)

The Guardian
  • Member of RE
  • 986 posts
  • 21236 kills

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:50

i want to have sons :) plos

gibe sons

Edited by The Guardian, 28 September 2013 - 09:51.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users