Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Calradia based RPG (pen and paper; Roll20)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:01

Some of you may or may not already know it but I have been gming a Traveller group with people from mercenaries for a while now. I chose Traveller as the system mostly because i already played it with an irl group and enjoyed it quite a lot. Now seeing as neither of the players on the current group have any experience with RPGs of the like, i can't really tell if they like the sci-fi Traveller setting or would rather play something else. Seeing as I currently do not own a copy of the Dungeon and Dragons Rulebook and for various reasons do not plan on buying one (including the fact that i don't like D&D that much), D&D isn't an option. I own a few other Rulebooks but neither of them are suited for what i have in mind setting wise.

This thread is meant to help me develop this and to let people know about how it is coming along. I will probably be gming a group as well, but anyone is free to use this ruleset to start a rp group himself. You will have to expect me to take an active interest, though (maybe even going as far as to asking you to let me join :D)

As the title of this thread already tells you, i am planning on running a campagin set in Calradia. In order for this to work there are several things to be done.

Rules

Seeing as i don't plan on buying new Rulebooks we will be borrowing from other systems (D&D, Traveller etc.) and making up our own rules as well. The guys that have already been in the group will know the basics of how a RPG like this works.

First off we will have to decide wether we want a rather simplistic RPG or a more complex, but also harder to learn/understand set of rules that will in turn offer a more realistic and elaborate Roleplay.

Once we have done that we can go into more detailed decisions about attributes and skills (possibly talents, weapon proficiencies etc. if we want it to be more complex).
Theoretically one could use the Warband character stats as a starting point, but looking at them i would argue that they offer very limited options in terms of non-combat roleplay.

Lore/Background

The Calradia we get out of the game is essentially a landscape with armies fighting for castles and cities. Cultures, economy or religion are practically non-existant. They are very important for a roleplaying game though. We will have to work out what we want the different factions to be like for 'our' calradia. What internal struggles do the people of swadia, nord etc. fight? How is the kingdom organised? Very centralized or with more or less independent counts and dukes? (Plus Rhodok being a republic, which makes no difference ingame whatsoever)

What the rpg itself looks like on a session to session basis, is entirely up to the gm. I myself wouldn't go for a group of counts to start with rather than a few mercenaries questing their way through calradia. My own group for testing purposes, will be rather episodic to start with. The players will be deciding the fate of a group of swadian footmen participating in the siege of Tehlrog castle for 1-3 sessions, help a nord merchant smuggle his goods through the searaiders attacking ships in the nord gulf/bay or play as a group of looters trying to make profit without ending up at the wrong end of a lance.

Episodic roleplaying allows for different players participating and will let me try out the different aspects of the ruleset so adjustments can be made without affecting a long term campaign. Once that is figured out i will go for an ongoing campaign with a set group of players. Possibly also extending the ruleset to include rules for commanding armies, politics, being a lord etc.

As for now you can voice opinions on the idea. I will be working on some basic drafts for rules and will post them for discussion.

Edited by Wololo, 19 September 2013 - 12:03.

• TheGodlyBrit likes this

#2 Roran 13, Sandorra's practice target

Roran 13
  • Member of Vintroth
  • 1290 posts
  • 31645 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:09

Sounds interesting.

#3 Lord_Anden, ArchDuke of Vintroth

Lord_Anden
  • Member of Vintroth
  • 499 posts
  • 23030 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:44

I have used roll20 for a Warhammer 40k campaign(or whatever ye want to call it) with a few Niflheim dudes :P

Great fun :D

EDIT: If ye are going to start something, I would gladly join.

Edited by Lord_Anden, 19 September 2013 - 12:46.

#4 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:54

Yes, but i have dark herey as well...and it sucks. So this will be different :3

#5 Lord_Anden, ArchDuke of Vintroth

Lord_Anden
  • Member of Vintroth
  • 499 posts
  • 23030 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:42

Not dark heresy I was talking about :P Just something that we made up.

We just use some decent rules and char sheets that are simple to make.

#6 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 13:52

Fair enough i guess. :D

Then again the Warhammer 40k universe is pretty limited in terms of rp, because everyone kills each other anyways.

• Lord_Anden likes this

#7 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 14:01

Alright starting off we need a basic set of attributes.

I would recommend something like Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence and Charisma.
Alternative suggestions are welcome. In this setup strength and dexterity are fairly obvious. Intelligence being about brain related task whereas charisma involves all social interaction. Endurance would mainly be used to determine how much hits a character can take (maybe along with strength, though strength would be less important) and to roll on for some resistance rolls (possibly how fast someone heals or wether he goes unconscious after getting a mace to the head).

#8 Vortigoat, Cheeki Breeki

Vortigoat
  • Member of Legion
  • 756 posts
  • 11899 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 14:08

GODHERESY EMPORERDAMNIT!!!!!

#9 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 15:15

Roll wise we have several options.
I recommend the two main ones, either d20 (20 sided dice) or d6 (6 sided dice).
Commonly used among d20 is to have players roll under or the respective attribute (example: Klaus rolls to lift a dead horse his strength is 10 so he has to roll 1-10 to suceed rolling 11 would mean he failed to lift it). That means rolling lower is good.

Six sided dices are used in Traveller as well. Usually players roll two dices at once (one dice would mean a very simplistic rpg). In Traveller you roll 2d6 and try to get an 8 or above to suceed. Depending on how easy or hard the roll is supposed to be the roll can be edited to be 6+ (instead of 8+ like before) or 10+ ect. The same thing is used in d20 as well obviously.

Now if you were to apply the systems to attributes, d6 means you always roll to get a certain number and add modifiers depending on your attributes.
Example: A weak peasant with 3 strength would get a -1 modifier. He tries to pull himself up a wall and has to roll 8+ he rolls 2d6 and substract 1 from his roll. Strong characters would add whatever modifier they have. In traveller the modifiers     are as follows: 0 -> -3/ 1-2 -> -2/ 3-5 -> -1/ 6-8 -> +0/ 9-11 -> +1/ 12-14 -> +2/ 15 -> +3

That means the maximum is 15 for an attribute. 6 to 8 being an average guy and 15 being a massive hulky arnold schwarzenegger barbarian. (strength that is of course)

With d20 you have 20 as the maximum. Players roll d20 and try to roll under their attribute -> Higher attributes mean it is easier to roll under. Those rolls can be modified as well, but as you can see it is easier for starters because there are no modifiers to remember apart from the one the gm gives you depending on the situation.

Obviously d6 is no problem once the players grasped the modifier concept, but there is a bit more calculation to be done once several other modifiers are applied as well (like being tired, being injured etc.)

Edited by Wololo, 19 September 2013 - 15:19.

#10 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 16:12

We just decided to settle for a d20 system after pondering over the upsides of the d6 system and failing to find any.

The current attributes are:

Strength - Determines how hard a character strikes, how much stuff he can carry (that includes wearing armor etc.) and how thick his muscles are (a third of the healthpoints is determined by a characters strength)

Dexterity - Determines how swift and nimble a character is, that includes sneaking past a guard, picking a lock and shooting bows/crossbows (also throwing things).
Endurance - Determines how tough a character is, how resistant to disease and how quick to recuperate from wounds. (also makes up 2/3 of the healthpoints)

Intelligence - Determines how smart a character is and how well he can remember things. Intelligence also determines the maximum level of certain skills (like surgery which uses dexterity, but will require a certain

intelligence)

Intuition -  Determines how quick to react a character is and represents his ability to think logically independent of education (that partly being represented by intelligence)

Charisma - Determines how well a character gets along with people and how sociable he is.

(Social Standing - Determines a characters place in medieval society; This attribute cannot be raised upon character creation and will be assigned to a character depending on the campaign played)

Now i have already talked to people about the rule details and we are getting pretty deep into it. I will be writing down all the rules and will send them to people if they want them.
What we will be discussing here is what skills there should be. I will write a few down already:

Combat skills

Melee Skills

daggers

one-handed swords

bastard swords (not entirely sure about the category, we could also they that both one-handed swordsman and two-handed ones can use them, but will only get to use their skill bonus of they use their native fighting style)

two-handed swords

blunt weapons/ axes

two-handed blunt weapons/ two-handed axes

fencing weapons

sabres

two-handed sabres

lances (riding)

chain weapons

spears

infantry weapons (i lack a better word but i feel like a halberd or a glaive are very different from a spear)

staffs (those aren't really weapons most of the time but they don't really belong into any other category)

Ranged Skills

bows

crossbows

throwing spears

throwing axes

throwing knives (all the throwing weapons could be put into one category, but i think they require quite different techniques of throwing so to split them makes sense)

These are the combat skills for now. We will be adding non-combat later on, but seeing as calradia is a pretty violent detailed combat seems to make sense in my eyes. Discuss where i was unsure myself and feel free to criticize where you think changes should be made.

Edited by Wololo, 19 September 2013 - 22:24.

#11 Arcan, Sir of Milano

Arcan
  • Member of RoseCroix
  • 795 posts
  • 8059 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 16:53

I feel interested, if something starts up, I'm in

#12 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 19 September 2013 - 23:29

I have finished a first draft of skills and their cost in character creation. I am making a word file you can get if you pm me once it is finished. Don't pm me just yet, because it isn't finished yet and i won't go through my entire inbox when it is to find out who wanted a copy.

• Lord_Anden likes this

#13 Kloney, Probably Gay

Kloney
  • Member of Chef
  • 457 posts
  • 32171 kills

Posted 21 September 2013 - 18:20

Yes, but i have dark herey as well...and it sucks. So this will be different :3

Fair enough i guess.  :D

Then again the Warhammer 40k universe is pretty limited in terms of rp, because everyone kills each other anyways.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=UTTSfN8wpsE

Edited by Kloney, 21 September 2013 - 18:26.

#14 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 22 September 2013 - 13:59

I know that video and i have played dark heresy, warhammer 40k tabletop etc. myself. Anyone who played both dark heresy and a classic DnD, DSA or anything of the like (possibly even Traveller), knows that dark heresy is essentially just a fuckfest with lots of fighting and very little actual roleplay. Only hardcore warhammer 40k fans actually get to roleplay because they know what's happening, but most of the time proper roleplay is discouraged in favor of shooting everything down or killing it in another way. Then a bit of roleplay in form of investigating/torturing people follows to get a new rampage target.

Now any RP system can be roleplaying intensive and people that are into rp will do it in anyway, but anyone who knows the warhammer 40k universe, knows that talking things out, thinking stuff through or being curious is very much discouraged and even punished most of the time. That is a horrible setup for a roleplaying a game where players want to explore an (to the players) unknown world, find their place in it and make their own choices. The warhammer 40k universe is flat as in everyone is killing each other, noone cares what you think and you do what you are told to or what the rules of the imperium (in this case the inquisiton) tell you to.

If you are a warhammer 40k fanboy, go ahead and enjoy dark heresy. I doubt you played it yourself or any other rp (apart from anden maybe who made his own system that might actually be interesting) and i can tell you that that podcast is in no way representative. These people make this from their position as professional youtubers, they don't have anything to do but make videos /prepare videos and spend a long time preparing for an entertaining session. The average player in regular groups might not say a lot, drift of OOC or not care to say a whole lot in IC at all. Gamemasters will prepare a session, but might forget things and not have money or skill for loads of fancy storytelling, mapmaking etc.

Play dark heresy for more than 5 sessions yourself and gm 1-3 yourself, then tell me it isn't encouraging pure violence over rp in more or less every situation. (Compared to to other roleplaying games)

Edited by Wololo, 22 September 2013 - 14:00.

#15 Vortigoat, Cheeki Breeki

Vortigoat
  • Member of Legion
  • 756 posts
  • 11899 kills

Posted 23 September 2013 - 13:22

I know that video and i have played dark heresy, warhammer 40k tabletop etc. myself. Anyone who played both dark heresy and a classic DnD, DSA or anything of the like (possibly even Traveller), knows that dark heresy is essentially just a fuckfest with lots of fighting and very little actual roleplay. Only hardcore warhammer 40k fans actually get to roleplay because they know what's happening, but most of the time proper roleplay is discouraged in favor of shooting everything down or killing it in another way. Then a bit of roleplay in form of investigating/torturing people follows to get a new rampage target.

Now any RP system can be roleplaying intensive and people that are into rp will do it in anyway, but anyone who knows the warhammer 40k universe, knows that talking things out, thinking stuff through or being curious is very much discouraged and even punished most of the time. That is a horrible setup for a roleplaying a game where players want to explore an (to the players) unknown world, find their place in it and make their own choices. The warhammer 40k universe is flat as in everyone is killing each other, noone cares what you think and you do what you are told to or what the rules of the imperium (in this case the inquisiton) tell you to.

If you are a warhammer 40k fanboy, go ahead and enjoy dark heresy. I doubt you played it yourself or any other rp (apart from anden maybe who made his own system that might actually be interesting) and i can tell you that that podcast is in no way representative. These people make this from their position as professional youtubers, they don't have anything to do but make videos /prepare videos and spend a long time preparing for an entertaining session. The average player in regular groups might not say a lot, drift of OOC or not care to say a whole lot in IC at all. Gamemasters will prepare a session, but might forget things and not have money or skill for loads of fancy storytelling, mapmaking etc.

Play dark heresy for more than 5 sessions yourself and gm 1-3 yourself, then tell me it isn't encouraging pure violence over rp in more or less every situation. (Compared to to other roleplaying games)

c8a.gif

#16 SkyTime, Rangah deals in propane and propane accessorie to perkons

SkyTime
  • Member of Korpi
  • 6534 posts
  • 22629 kills

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:58

Vorti learn to trole nob.

Spoiler (Click to Show)

Anyway, I quite like WH40k universe, to the level of fanboyism and I do like the DH roleplay. That's because TB is awesome too and I'm his fanboy too.

To my understanding in order to get the RP and stuff out of DH and WH40k RP in general you'd really need to know a shitton of the universe like a couple of the guys in the livestream do, and even they don't RP that much.

Also, how's this going on? 4/5 would play at some point.

#17 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:58

I have nearly finished the calradia rulebook. I have had some irl group sessions with a lot more elaborate storylines, than the ones we had. Now on the one hand, i feel like i could do better if i present some standard quest to you on the other i don't really have the time to make up a good one if you guys want to play so urgently. Traveller wise we can always finish what we started.

#18 Wololo, ITZ NOT FUNNI!!!

Wololo
  • Member of Legion
  • 1264 posts
  • 16741 kills

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:51

Sorry for the double-post. I have a semi-playable version of the rulebook now. It will still need explaining from my side once we actually get ingame, because i haven't written down detailed weapon stats yet. Character creation is heavily based on DSA but from there on things differ quite a bit. Skytime and Sandorra can have this version for now so we can try some character creation and maybe a short test episode. Combat rules are already in on a very basic level so i will have to elaborate a bit whilst playing, but you don't have to start from scratch.

Edited by Wololo, 19 November 2013 - 11:51.

#19 sandorra, The God of (In)Justice

sandorra
  • Member of Korpi
  • 7123 posts
  • 25916 kills

Posted 19 November 2013 - 14:27

Woo. I feel priviledged

#20 Vortigoat, Cheeki Breeki

Vortigoat
  • Member of Legion
  • 756 posts
  • 11899 kills

Posted 19 November 2013 - 15:36

Woo. I feel priviledged

Racism, just cuz he is a fisherman in a dark place doesnt mean he has more rights.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users